Monday, August 1, 2011

fabric

they ride by my house sometimes.
i’ll be sitting at my desk, thinking, writing, editing, and zoom, there they go. one will pass and I know it won’t be long before the other clips into their bike and follows. i’ve watched them. i watched them when i was three years old; work on projects in the back yard, cheer at races, kiss every time they met. i’m sure they’ve had ups and downs, that’s just marriage. but there is a richness about them, i guess that’s cultivated by hard times, suffering, joy, failure, success, done hand in hand. there is an affection, appreciation, and respect that i remember in the midst of my own marriage.

they never had babies, but they have more kids than anyone i know. in fact, i’m one of them. chris was the first person to tell me about finding life by living for God. i call him my spiritual father, but sometimes he’s been an earthly one too. in fact he has shared with me that he feels he has so much understanding of God, the Father’s, heart and that’s why he’s often reduced to tears in the middle of conversation about a person he loves. it leaves me awestruck. he taught me to pray, she taught me to be tough, he taught me to connect with people i photograph, she taught me to explore.

when thinking about people that have played a part in forming me, the patterson’s make up much of that fabric. when I was little, they lived two doors down, now, they live 6 up. they pour into the lives of my children in the same way they did me. i’m grateful.


















1 comment:

Katie said...

Meredith - this is beautiful. Reminds me of playing outside and seeing them ride by when we were kids. Thanks for sharing - they look the same as they did 15 years ago!