Monday, February 23, 2009

sometimes the little things are pretty big

walking through a tiny jewelry store she pointed and said, "aren't those earrings pretty"? he shrugged and said "sure", walking toward the door. in her mind she was reminded of her wedding day and the earrings he gave her, how she wore them daily until one was lost.

while she sat reading he excused himself for a walk on the beach. he caught a cab instead, and found that tiny jewelry store. 4 miles away she still sat unassuming. with traffic at a stand still he ran all the way back, in flip flops, so she wouldn't be suspicious. the blisters that started to form were a reminder of what they walked through together in their marriage. remembering how he could be unloving and she could be less than respectful. knowing the journey was worth it all along.

on the last night he wanted to see the ocean one more time. as they looked toward the water he held her hand, and asked "will you remember this forever?" she nodded. with a simple smile he slipped something in her hand, hoping this would remind her of their week in paradise. the earrings she thought he didn't see.

when i think of my husband a lot of things come to mind. hard worker, brilliant, strong, humble, simple, generous. i respect him more than anyone on this earth and although i look to fill gaps in my heart from other places he is still the one that puts it all in place. he longs to see me look at him like he's everything to me, if he could only see me when he wasn't looking.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously?! why have you gotta go making me cry like that?!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this meredith. Jeff and I are going to Maui in May for our 5th anniversary and you just got me so excited. Love, Brandi

Desiree Gaul said...

I love feeling your love for him - not because of the earrings themselves, but because of how much he shows you he loves you! I am so glad you had such a fantastic trip!