Thursday, November 26, 2009

i'm thankful for.....

driving some 2000 miles last week with my toddler in tow i got to thinking. in the rearview mirror i looked at his little face and said "deacon, i'm thankful for daddy, what are you thankful for?" not thinking he would actually understand, he looked back at me and said, "i'm thankful for trains".

over the course the week we continued to play our game, every so often i would start and he would reply. we played in the car, we played with 80 year old women at the retirement community, we played at the kitchen table, we played late at night when the covers held us close together and we snuggled. we invited people to play or just played alone.

the more we played the more i realized how ungrateful i really am. not that i mean to be, but i get crabby when things don't go just right, or i have too much work on my plate, or when i don't feel appreciated. so many things made me sad last week, but looking in the rearview mirror i remembered to be grateful.

a few of my favorites
i'm thankful for gumballs
i'm thankful for trains
i'm thankful for mashed potatoes
i'm thankful for crayons
i'm thankful for pizza
i'm thankful for you mommy

happy thanksgiving. what are you thankful for?

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I, for one, am thankful for Meredith, her talent and this wonderful life-affirming blog.

Happy Thanksgiving, Mere!

Jaime

Regan said...

Ditto Jaime! I'm thankful for our friendship, Mere:)

Regan

celeste said...

i'm thankful for meredith's perspective. and hummus. :)

The McMillian's said...

I am thankful for an amazing little boy named, Deacon, who makes me smile everyday he is at preschool! I am also thankul for his amazing mommy who has done an amazing job raising a very polite, funny, sweet and loving little boy!You and Brandon have a beautiful family!

Happy Thanksgiving Meredith! :)

cheer_pc said...

Hey its Lauren and I've finally got to look at your photos its been awhile for me, but i just feel in love with this one!